Quantcast

What does it mean?

schnee
Hi,

I have a news letter sent to suscribers, and recently I got one blocked by SpamAssassin for a couple of reasons. For some I can manage to improve my application, but for others, I just don't understand what's wrong for SpamAssassin:

1: "MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts"
So what ? Do I have to send a text only part also? All my users can read HTML.

2. "HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16     BODY: HTML: images with 1200-1600 bytes of words"
There is one 862 bytes image in the message. It is an example of an icon the user could
click for some new tool in the main site. What's wrong with that?

3. "HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag"

If someone could be more specific about these, I'd appreciate.

Re: What does it mean?

Theo Van Dinter-2
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:46:37AM -0800, schnee wrote:
> 1: "MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts"
> So what ? Do I have to send a text only part also? All my users can read
> HTML.

It'd probably be a good idea to do multipart/alternative w/ an appropriate
text/plain version.

> 2. "HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16     BODY: HTML: images with 1200-1600 bytes of words"
> There is one 862 bytes image in the message. It is an example of an icon the
> user could
> click for some new tool in the main site. What's wrong with that?

It's an image with a small amount of text, so looks like a graphic spam.

> 3. "HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag"
> If someone could be more specific about these, I'd appreciate.

It's text/html only w/ no <html> tag.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,

Re: What does it mean?

Francis Russell-3
schnee wrote:

> 1: "MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts"
> So what ? Do I have to send a text only part also? All my users can read
> HTML.

Typically, mailers should send a text version of the message as well, in
case the mail client can't read HTML. The text version should be as
similar to the HTML version as possible. Only sending an HTML message is
often a sign of spam.

> 2. "HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16     BODY: HTML: images with 1200-1600 bytes of
words"
> There is one 862 bytes image in the message. It is an example of an
icon the
> user could
> click for some new tool in the main site. What's wrong with that?

This sounds like your message has managed to cause a false positive with
a spammy looking text-image ratio. I get a lot of false positives on
this with some of the messages I receive. I'm not sure how you should
work around that.

> 3. "HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag"

You need to post a link to the message to be sure, but it sounds like
your message is missing the actual <html> </html> tags.

Re: What does it mean?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 05.01.09 08:46, schnee wrote:
> I have a news letter sent to suscribers, and recently I got one blocked by
> SpamAssassin for a couple of reasons. For some I can manage to improve my
> application, but for others, I just don't understand what's wrong for
> SpamAssassin:
>
> 1: "MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts"
> So what ? Do I have to send a text only part also? All my users can read
> HTML.

That does NOT mean they like to read HTML or they prefer it ovet plaintext.

> 2. "HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16     BODY: HTML: images with 1200-1600 bytes of words"
> There is one 862 bytes image in the message. It is an example of an icon
> the user could click for some new tool in the main site. What's wrong with
> that?

many of such e-mails are spam, so there's a rule... note that ALL SA rules
have a score, the higher it is, the higher possibility it means that the
mail is spam. One score doesn't mean anything.

> 3. "HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG  HTML-only message, but there is no HTML tag"

the <html> and/or </html> tags are missing.

> If someone could be more specific about these, I'd appreciate.

I advise you fix the 1. and 3., the resulting score should be fine.

Linux is like a teepee: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...

Re: What does it mean?

Kai Schaetzl
Francis Russell wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:17:46 +0000:

> in
> case the mail client can't read HTML.

and in case that users are simply not interested to get this HTML stuff.
If you want to provide glossy looking stuff then provide links to web
pages. Mail is not for that.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: What does it mean?

jnc3525
My newsletters are configured with relatively low spam score.  If you need examples, you can check it out on my website, would be good tool to model for assistance.  Its a Jewish dating website, but you can get good ideas to help with your concerns, http://www.supertova.com  best of luck