Garbage string emails

Palvelin Postmaster
What’s the purpose of emails like this? Should I teach them to bayes or possibly avoid teaching them?

--
Palvelin.fi Hostmaster

Re: Garbage string emails

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 31.05.18 13:14, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:
>What’s the purpose of emails like this? Should I teach them to bayes or possibly avoid teaching them?

bayes should not do any harm but I'm afraid it won't help much also
I have fed few of those mails to BAYES, now it seems to catch all of them,
but no other rules seem to catch it.

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: "ywkazjv" <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: asyiwtw ykfyydh eryuhlk
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>>
>> ofzyhsh apvevqn uqqotcd odfeqlz yltumfk

one line spam - hard to catch, however
- domain seems to be common (for the mail I have seen)
- one line, 5 words, 7 characters each seems to be common too.

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Re: Garbage string emails

jpff
I add points for mail from .ua and even more for .biz.ua
Might help?

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On May 31, 2018, 12:16, at 12:16, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 31.05.18 13:14, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:
>>What’s the purpose of emails like this? Should I teach them to bayes
>or possibly avoid teaching them?
>
>bayes should not do any harm but I'm afraid it won't help much also
>I have fed few of those mails to BAYES, now it seems to catch all of
>them,
>but no other rules seem to catch it.
>
>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: "ywkazjv" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: asyiwtw ykfyydh eryuhlk
>>> To: <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> ofzyhsh apvevqn uqqotcd odfeqlz yltumfk
>
>one line spam - hard to catch, however
>- domain seems to be common (for the mail I have seen)
>- one line, 5 words, 7 characters each seems to be common too.
>
>--
>Matus UHLAR - fantomas, [hidden email] ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
>Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
>Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
>Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Re: Garbage string emails

John Hardin
On Thu, 31 May 2018, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:

> What’s the purpose of emails like this?

Potentially: delivery probes.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]
  6 days until the 74th anniversary of D-Day

Re: Garbage string emails

Palvelin Postmaster

> On 31 May 2018, at 17:01, Pedro David Marco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Palvelin... do you see them oftenly??

Not often. They seem to come in small batches.

They almost exclusively get caught by various SA rules. I was mostly interested why someone would send such seemingly pointless emails…unless they have actually some point.

--
Palvelin.fi Hostmaster

Re: Garbage string emails

Palvelin Postmaster

> On 31 May 2018, at 17:39, John Hardin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:
>
>> What’s the purpose of emails like this?
>
> Potentially: delivery probes.

That sounds like a very plausible theory.

--
Palvelin.fi Hostmaster

Re: Garbage string emails

John Hardin
On Thu, 31 May 2018, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:

>> On 31 May 2018, at 17:39, John Hardin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Palvelin Postmaster wrote:
>>
>>> What’s the purpose of emails like this?
>>
>> Potentially: delivery probes.
>
> That sounds like a very plausible theory.
Either that or they are playing around testing their spam tool and
accidentally let the batch out into the wild.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]
  key: 0xB8732E79 -- 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  6 days until the 74th anniversary of D-Day

Re: Garbage string emails

PeterD

No not discard they are botnet commands!!

-----
Pedro

Re: Garbage string emails

PeterD
>On Thursday, May 31, 2018, 6:24:06 PM GMT+2, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>Am 31.05.2018 um 18:17 schrieb Pedro David Marco:
> No not discard they are botnet commands!!
>
>and why yould you not want do discard / reject them then?
>WTF!

:-DDDDDD  of course!  Sorry Reindl... my mistake! it was an english language mistake on mny behalf... please excuse me...

I wanted to say that those emails "can be" botnet commands...

-----
Pedro

Axb

Re: Garbage string emails

Axb
On 05/31/2018 06:36 PM, Pedro David Marco wrote:
>   >On Thursday, May 31, 2018, 6:24:06 PM GMT+2, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   >>Am 31.05.2018 um 18:17 schrieb Pedro David Marco:
>> No not discard they are botnet commands!!>
>> and why yould you not want do discard / reject them then?
>> WTF!
> :-DDDDDD  of course!  Sorry Reindl... my mistake! it was an english language mistake on mny behalf... please excuse me...
>
> I wanted to say that those emails "can be" botnet commands...
> -----Pedro

Please abstain from replying Reindl's direct replies to the list.
We can live without the noise.